The check valve is designed to prevent back flow. Fluid flow in the desired direction opens the valve, while backflow forces the valve closed.
- Protection of any item of equipment that can be affected by reverse flow, such as flowmeters, strainers and control valves.
- To check the pressure surges associated with hydraulic forces, for example, water hammer (pressure surge). These hydraulic forces can cause a wave of pressure to run up and down pipework until the energy is dissipated.
- Prevention of flooding.
- Prevention of reverse flow on system shutdown.
- Prevention of flow under gravity.
- Relief of vacuum conditions.